Sunday, December 16, 2018

Book Recommendations

I've had a couple people ask on Twitter if there was a list of all my book recommendations somewhere. There wasn't, but it's probably a good idea, seeing as I post a lot of updates (sorry, not sorry) and people probably miss quite a few of them in the spam. So, here are all of my favorite books that I've recommended over the last year on Twitter. I'll update this list as I add more.

Obligatory reminder: I might earn a small commission for items purchased through links. I don't disclose this to encourage you to buy anything, only to be transparent. December's donations will go exclusively to The Special Operations Warrior Foundation. They do fantastic work supporting the families of fallen and wounded Special Operations personnel, with a focus of sending children of fallen warriors to college.


1. The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons From a Former Delta Force Commander - this is one of my favorite books EVER. I like books that teach valuable life lessons, and this one is full of them. Plus it gives you some really interesting insight into what our most elite warriors do in places many people have never heard of. You can find a full description here: https://amzn.to/2S2Purx

2. Everything Trump Touches Dies: You probably know Rick Wilson, and you've probably seen this book. If you haven't read it, you should. He's hilarious, and one of the best wordsmiths I've ever seen. I'm a big fan of books that are read by the author, so if you're in to audiobooks, I highly recommend that one. You can find a full description of ETTD here: https://amzn.to/2QZKRkE

3. A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership - On my feed, Comey is either loved or hated. There is no ambivalence that I've seen. I was on Team Comey already -- because I've seen the high standards he's held for himself for decades -- but this book really made me appreciate the impossible situation he was put in -- and why he acted the way he did -- even if I don't agree with it. He's a good person, and a great narrator in the audiobook. You can find his book here: https://amzn.to/2ExIAro

4. Becoming: Even as a former Republican, I've always really, really liked Michelle. This is a great book, and an even better story. Can't wait for President Obama's book to follow! https://amzn.to/2BmLgEa

5. The Great War of Our Time: This is one of the best books ever written by a former CIA employee. Michael Morell gives a no-BS assessment of two decades at CIA. He points out some of our biggest successes, as well as some of our biggest failures. He was W's daily intelligence briefer on 9/11 and he was in the acting director of CIA when Bin Laden was killed. He's been a part of almost every major counterintelligence operation in the past 25 years. This is a must read if you want to get some extra insight into some of the biggest moments of recent history. https://amzn.to/2EvnZUF

6. Raven Rock: The Story of the US Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself -- While the Rest of us Die. This book was remarkable to me because of how much information the author was able to receive. Much of today's continuity of government plan is very similar to what is described in this book. Meticulously researched and well-written, this is a book that history buffs, Government enthusiasts, or people who just want to know what the hell is up with those helicopters that are always flying over the nation's capital. https://amzn.to/2UQ5U8p

I'll update this list periodically as I remember more books I've recommended, or finish and recommend new ones. I won't ever recommend anything I haven't already read. I got burned on Fire and Fury, and won't let that happen again. They dropped a few excerpts that were accurate before the book released, then most of it turned out to be sketchy journalism at best.

If you haven't gotten into audiobooks yet, Audible is running a special until the end of the year: Sign up for a free trial and get two free audiobooks. Even if you cancel before the month is over, you won't be charged for anything, and you get to keep the book. You can click the graphic below to get started on that, if you're interested:


As always, thanks for reading, thank you for all the comments (I still read them all), and if you have any book recommendations for me, please let me know here or on Twitter!

5 comments:

  1. ETTD is a masterpiece! Hunter S. Thompson meets Oscar Wilde. Can't wait for the supplement to drop. A Higher Loyalty was very instructive, factual, and provided excellent insight into the Hobson's choice Comey faced and why he made the decision he did. I'm not sure I would have done the same thing, but it wasn't irrational or nefarious. Additional recommendation: Fear by Bob Woodward confirms what I thought about John Dowd's resignation as 45's defense attorney. I just ordered Proof of Collusion by Seth Abramson. Will report back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read EVERYTHING TRUMP TOUCHES DIES and alternately laughed and screamed my way through it. Rick Wilson nails his assessment of Trump and his effect on people's lives. Comey's book, A HIGHER LOYALTY, was well-written and quite informative. I gives insight into Comey's thought process, explaining why he did what he did. I have Michelle Obama's book, BECOMING, sitting on my end table. It is next in line for me to read. I have also read THE SHADOW PRESIDENT: The Truth About Mike Pence (scary to know what Pence is really like); FEAR: Trump in the White House (a detailed list of Trump's misdeeds); FULL DISCLOSURE (interesting read by Stormy Daniels); HOUSE OF TRUMP, HOUSE OF PUTIN and COLLUSION (both of which give many details and timelines for house Russia worked to helped Trump secure the nomination).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently reading McFaul's book (and loving it). Michelle's is next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. grabbed them all to my kindle, have audible for when i don't have time to actually sit down to read

    ReplyDelete
  5. not sure what your tastes in books/authors are but I like Patricia Cornwell ( Scarpetta series), Piers Anthony (Xanth series), David Baldacci, Kathy Reichs ( Temperance Brennan series), Jonathan Kellerman and Douglas Adams

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Questions

Just a brief reminder that the new site ( angrystaffer.com ) should be fully live early next week, hoping for Monday! Had some good questio...