Saturday, July 15, 2017

Why Is There So Much Collusion On My Nothingburger?

Stop me if you've heard this before: this was a -really- bad week for Trump. Seriously, after this week, absolutely nobody with a brain should be calling this a witch hunt. The hardest thing to prove in a case is almost always intent. Thanks to Donald Trump Jr. releasing that incredibly incriminating email chain, we have means, motive, opportunity and intent all in the same place - neatly bundled into a cute little package of treason for Mueller and his team. Let me be very clear: if this isn't a smoking gun, the barrel is still very, VERY hot. And we haven't even seen the good stuff yet.

Look at how far the goalpost has moved in the last few weeks. We've gone from "nothing to do with Russia, zero." to "well, collusion isn't technically a crime." Let me stop you there before the defense gets any more ridiculous: colluding with a hostile foreign power to undermine the very fabric of our democracy is absolutely a crime. All of the "experts" on TV spouting nonsense to the contrary should lose their airtime, immediately. In what universe is treason not a crime? If this isn't treason, it's damn close; and like I said, the good stuff isn't even out yet. I don't care if you want to call it collusion, treason, or even coercion, although coercion seems to be further and further off the table after Don Jr.'s emails - "I love it!" doesn't sound like someone being blackmailed to me. Don't get me wrong, I still hope the pee tape is real, I just don't think that was the motivation for the cooperation.


Yesterday's news-whiplash from this single meeting left me with a sore neck and a lingering question:

What was in the folder that was left to Trump Jr.? Maybe I've watched too many crime shows, or maybe I just don't believe a damn word that comes from this administration anymore, but I have a hard time believing that this was a fruitless meeting. It seems logical to me to start the meeting off on a mundane topic and cause most of the participants to leave. Then, when only a few people are left in the room, you pass the goods (the folder?). This gives plausible deniability to most of the Americans that were in the room, and also explains why only the Russians are the only ones reporting that this folder exchanged hands. It's really a sad day for America when the Russians are a better public source of what's going on with our top officials than anyone in the administration. Luckily, none of this matters - Don Jr. laid out exactly what his plans were and who he was willing to cooperate with to make it happen. And please, let's not even entertain the narrative that Don Jr. wasn't a campaign surrogate - he spoke all over the country for his father, portraying himself as a member/spokesman of the campaign. As I said on Twitter, it really doesn't matter if the meeting was unsuccessful (which I highly doubt) or not, the intent is completely clear from the email. That's what matters. We're 7 months in to Trump's presidency and the best legal defense they can come up with is, "well, it didn't work" or "well, collusion isn't technically a crime." This is a total disaster in any universe.

To close, I would just like to say that my followers are the best. You guys keep me laughing all day, and thanks to you, I know exactly what I'm going to order the next time I go out to eat: A nothingburger on a toasted treason bun, made from grade A Mos-cow, sprinkled with stupidity, topped with lightly-toasted collusion crisps and a Russian-red reduction.

2 comments:

Twitter Questions

Just a brief reminder that the new site ( angrystaffer.com ) should be fully live early next week, hoping for Monday! Had some good questio...