Saturday, June 10, 2017

How a Republican Joined The Resistance

A little background into me: I have a double major in journalism and political science, with a focus on international relations. While journalism isn't my current job by any stretch of the imagination, I fundamentally believe that it remains the most important pillar of our democracy.

I've been a Republican all my life. When Trump secured the Republican nomination, I, like most of the country thought the election was going to be a complete blowout in favor of Hillary Clinton. I watched the debates, followed the news, the rallies, etc. I was repulsed by the Access Hollywood tape. Don't get me wrong: I'm not perfect by any means, I've said things in private that could probably be considered 'locker-room talk', but that was so far overboard that I still can't even adequately express my disgust. I had also began to hear the rumors of the Trump tower / Alfa Bank connection, but I didn't give them much credence in the beginning. I told my wife on several occasions during election season that I didn't see how Trump could possibly win the election, even with the Clinton email scandal and the FBI investigation; his utter lack of policy of any kind and juvenile debate antics would surely fall on deaf ears with the American people, right? Boy, was I wrong.


I did not vote for Donald Trump. Honestly, for the first time in my adult life, I didn't vote in the Presidential election period. One, as I said, I expected a complete blowout. Two, I had serious misgivings with both candidates. More so with Trump, but mishandling classified information is also a big deal. If only we knew then... Small side note for clarity: I also voted for Obama over McCain in 2008. I respect the hell out of John McCain, but his nomination of Sarah Palin as his VP is what did it for me. I guess you could say I'm more of a center-right person. I don't ever vote on straight party lines.

Anyway, election night. I'm watching and assuming all is over but the crying. Then, along with the rest of the world, I'm completely shocked. I went to bed that night feeling confused. Not really apprehensive, not angry, just confused: How in the world did we go from Barack Obama to a reality star with seemingly no political or moral compass? I decided that I was going to be cautiously optimistic. Then the news started to come out. Flynn, the dossier, Manafort, etc etc. I was perturbed by his treatment of the media and his ambivalence towards the intelligence community. I watched the damn reality TV show play out in real time at Trump tower, including Kanye West, but noticeably missing Sergei Kislyak. But still, as countless presidents have noted, the office has a way of waking you up. I was still cautiously optimistic. I guess I took the Paul Ryan approach: he's new at this, he'll figure it out.

I watched his inauguration speech and wasn't as disturbed by it as some people, but I did have concerns. My time on the periphery of the Trump Train unequivocally ended shortly after he took office. Sending Sean Spicer out to berate the media and lie about his inauguration crowd size was not only trivial, it completely wrecked Spicer's credibility from day one. Then, he went to the CIA and, in front of their memorial wall, boasted about his electoral victory and his crowed size and complained about negative media coverage. That did it for me. I have friends that have fought and died for this country, and to go to the most hallowed ground at Langley and give THAT speech showed me exactly how self-absorbed and clueless he really was.

Now, I'm of the James Clapper view: I feel like our institutions and the very fabric of our democracy are under assault. I gave it a few more weeks, but started following members of the resistance on Twitter and paying more attention to social media. I finally got tired of the misinformation coming out of some of the rogue accounts, so here I am. As I said, I believe that the press is absolutely the most crucial pillar of our democracy. They are called the Fourth Estate for a reason. The Fifth Estate is just as important, especially now that the Fourth is under blatant assault. The Fifth Estate is us: the citizen journalists, the social media resistance, etc. We are, in a way, the guardians of the Fourth Estate, and I personally think we are doing a fantastic job.

Keep up the good work. Happy resisting.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you again for offering your unique perspective and insight into all this madness. I'm in "we're going to get thru this" mode today, but I also know there will be a lot of rebuilding and healing to do once we get to the other side, wherever and whenever that is. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for what you do.

    I am actually a former life-long Republican - the party was drifting away from me for some time - many things. The final straw was when McCain named Palin as his running mate. I changed my registration. There are very few Republicans in office that I have any respect for - and that has been from the last 10 years or so - but I really believe that Newt Gingrich had a lot to do with the party becoming so coarse and win at all costs. The "Swiftboating" of John Kerry - the weaponizing of congressional committees (7 or so Benghazi investigations - and oh, the Republicans loved to leak (usually quite misleading too) info out to the press

    I was shocked and sick the night of the election - not as sore loser but more the realization of what our society has become.

    I spent 13 years in operations with a TS/SCI keeping this country safe and I am just appalled at what this administration is doing and has done - and that is just what is out in the open - Trump bragging to the Russians in the Oval office, Kushner meeting (sneakily) with the Russian ambassador and wanting to use secure Russian telecom. Flynn's phone call's. Sessions, Flynn and Kushner leaving Russian contacts off of their SF86s - when I filled out mine - they said to list everything - do not lie - they will find out. You also had to identify any family members who might have foreign contacts. We also had the requirement to notify our security officer if we had any contact at any point, with foreign nationals. Not only did they not identify - even after they were called on it - Sessions apparently "forgot" about another contact.

    Granted, I could be wrong about this, but Sessions "reason" for one contact with the Russian Ambassador was in his role on the Armed Services Committee - that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever - when you look at what that committee does. My initial thought - he is lying.

    This is something I have first hand knowledge of (albeit 20 years ago), and I am very concerned.

    Unfortunately the Republicans in DC seem to want to focus more on perceived "unamasking" by the Obama administration, Hillary and Loretta Lynch (which were stupid things, I agree). Even when Obama wanted to bring it up last summer and Mitch McConnell said he would consider it a strictly "partisan" move. Too many have sold their souls.

    Thank you again for what you do.

    Best regards

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Steve Bannon talks about "deconstructing the administrative state", he means you.

      In the U.S., the administrative state is, by design, the fortification against tyranny and fascism. Which is Bannon's point.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for all that you do and say.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your patriotism and willingness to fight the "good" fight. Strength in numbers will be our salvation #Resistance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Very appreciated, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really time for people in this country to drop the loyalties that they have with their political parties and start thinking for themselves like you have done. I consider myself a liberal, not a Bernie liberal and not a Democrat liberal, just someone with liberal values. I am hoping 2018 and 2020 will bring more Independents into politics. A healthy balance of liberalism and conservationism is needed in this country. While the Republican party might have been hijacked by Trump and the Alt-right or at least tainted by their views (which have no basis in a Democracy) the Democratic party sat back and watched hoping they could win an election by letting Trump sink himself. We've set the bar too low for what we expect out of our politicians. The resistance shouldn't just be about Trump but the entire political system that lead to him coming to power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ONLY thing liberal about ALL politics is how liberal those pulling politicians strings are with their funding of each side

      Delete
  6. Thank you for persisting. I read your posts every day. Please continue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining our cause. I love your posts and look forward to seeing them. Your insight is very spot on and needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You keep me sane during the insanity of Donald's presidency. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Dems lost the 2016 election because when you start connecting the dots of the business associations and where those businesses operated from, their candidate is VERY compromised.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Questions

Just a brief reminder that the new site ( angrystaffer.com ) should be fully live early next week, hoping for Monday! Had some good questio...